Live Cricket Match Score Board

Watch and Listen Live Sports News

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I was expecting a call-up

Extras

Pradeep Sangwan impressed the selectors with his pace and movement during the Indian Premier League, and two years after he spearheaded the Indian under-19 bowling to the World Cup title, the Delhi left-armer is now revelling his position in the fringes. Sangwan,along with Virat Kohli, who has been named the vice-captain of the 15-member squad for the Emerging Players tournament, are the only two making the grade from the Capital.

"To be honest, I was expecting to be named in the squad. I was quite happy with my performance for the Delhi Daredevils in the last edition of the IPL in South Africa, so the selection has not come as a surprise to me. But, I am happy to be named in it," Sangwan told Sportline.

Having played his cricket with Kohli for Delhi in the Ranji Trophy and also under his leadership in the Under-19 Wold Cup in Malaysia in 2007, Sangwan believes that their history will work in his favour. "Badrinath is a good captain. But I have played under Virat's captaincy before. He knows my strengths and can utilise me well. I will definitely benefit from him being the vice-captain in the Emerging Players squad," he said.

Familiar conditions

The Indian contingent will take part in a four-way tournament in Brisbane commencing July 20 against an Australian Institute of Sport team, and Emerging Players sides from New Zealand and South Africa. The tournament includes two rounds of Twenty20 and six 50-over matches plus the finals.

Having camped and trained at Brisbane last year, Sangwan thinks his experience will count. With the Australian pitches well known to assist the fast bowlers, he is excited about the prospect of playing Down Under. "I know the conditions in Brisbane well, as I camped there last year. I also know the pitch and weather conditions. It will be a good tour for youngsters."

With the selectors looking to blood more youngsters in the national squad, Sangwan believes that a good performance in Australia might well push him out of the fringes into the main team. "Let's hope for the best," said the left arm pacer.






<< Home
Search Here For More Information :

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]